Job Openings, Internships & Volunteer Opportunities
- Miller Upholstering is always looking for experienced upholsterers skilled in traditional and modern upholstery. There just isn't enough of us to go around! Those with a skilled hand for high-end textiles, both in sewing and upholstery applications are desired. Please apply and attach your resume by clicking the button below or simply email Helen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Internships are available for interior and furniture design students to gain a better understanding of upholstered furniture past and present in a shop specializing in vintage and antique residential furnishings, custom cushions and pillows. Expect to increase your knowledge of new designer textiles through current vendor product and the applied art of upholstery/soft home furnishings. Internships are flexible and I am happy to work with you to meet requirements for credits towards your class or degree. Students of Interior Design and Furniture Design programs welcome to apply.
Interior Design Students: Front of House Duties may include:
- Housekeeping of shop exterior, showroom interior
- Sorting of fabric samples and books; current/discontinued
- Window display/visual merchandising
- Ordering of new samples online and at local design center.
- Applying customer service skills by assisting clients through reupholster and design consultation.
- Act as liaison between workroom and client. TONS of communication here
- Photography, photoshop editing, descriptions and listing of soft home furnishings for Miller Upholstering's online venue's
- Social media updates (upon mgmt approval) of showroom/workroom related product and activities
- A taste of workroom labor, in order to appreciate the difficulties therein
- Unpaid hourly position but will receive 20% commission of fabric sales, freebies and perks of many things such as: Free lunch when you least expect it, snacks, coffee and tea beverages brought to you. Walking and/or youtube breaks 2'ce daily throughout the neighborhood (per 8 hour shift), a shop dog to pet at times. Learning, laughter, music and lots of satisfying work.
Furniture Design Students: Back of House/Workroom Duties will include:
- Learning tools and workroom flow - communication with clients and owner
- Takedown of client pieces (sometimes leisurely, sometimes under pressure)
- Journaling of benchwork in time increments in an effort to keep labor costs accurate
- Photo and hand drawn documentation, measurements of furnishings, note keeping. Each piece is different!
- Textile and supply considerations; learning layout, identification and estimates of material use
- Housekeeping of workroom
- Social media updates (upon mgmt approval) of workroom related activities
- Unpaid hourly position but will receive 20% commission of fabric sales, freebies and perks of many things such as: Free lunch when you least expect it, snacks, coffee and tea beverages brought to you. Walking and/or youtube breaks 2'ce daily throughout the neighborhood (per 8 hour shift), a shop dog to pet at times. Learning in a friendly, creative, upbeat environment.
Miller Upholstering's Wish List in an Intern: Mac and PC proficient in general office systems, excel, quickbooks, photoshop, digital photography, photo editing, photographic memory, social media, craft, fashion, textile interest. Organizational skills with artistic sensibility. Must have common sense or conscientiously in development. Must be fit, nonsmoker; able to lift and walk around with 50 lbs, up and down ladders, bend, kneel, squat while assisting with furniture items. Must be able to work in noisy environment; machinery, eclectic music, loud at times.
Budding upholsterer's have been invited in the past to come pull staples and strip furniture frames in preparation for restoration and then reupholstery. They gain knowledge by seeing the variety of ways furniture has been put together over the decades and by being in a design environment. The schedule is full at the moment of volunteer opportunities thru early spring of 2017. but I'm leaving the application form here just in case someone is particularly adament to come volunteer.